The Scotch Oakburn Boarding House is set on picturesque grounds, surrounded by beautiful gardens and century-old oak trees on the Elphin Campus of the College.
Around 80 students can be accommodated in the spacious, recently-renovated and comfortable Boarding House with girls and boys coming from Tasmania´s country regions, interstate and overseas. A warm, friendly, caring atmosphere is fostered in the Boarding House with staff who have a genuine interest and understanding in the care of adolescents, and who help to ease the transition from home to boarding house life.
Features of Boarding at Scotch Oakburn include:
- well-equipped lounge rooms and activity rooms
- computer room
- heated swimming pool
- playing fields and tennis courts
- music facilities
- 20 minute walk or short bus ride to the Penquite Campus
- extensive menu offering a good variety of foods, catering for a wide range of dietary needs and tastes
- birthdays and special occasions always a feature
- trained health staff
- 10 minute walk to the centre of Launceston and City Park
- established links with local surgeries and specialist services
- close supervision of ´Prep´ by tutors each weekday evening
- study assistance offered at other times
- weekend activities arranged to cater for a range of interests
Scotch Oakburn values the nurturing environment of the family. Parents and relatives are encouraged to share in the various experiences of Boarding House life, despite the distance that may separate them. Tutors, along with the Deputy Head of Boarding and his family, live within the Elphin Campus and all take an active role in Boarding House activities and the day-to-day lives of each of the boarders.
Boarding House life for students fosters independence, tolerance, co-operation and trust, blended with staff support, guidance and friendship.
Boarding at Scotch Oakburn is a rewarding experience.