Head of Junior School

Lachie Wright BA, BEd, TTC, MACEL, GradCertEd, MEd.

Lachie-WrightMy professional passion is the excitement, magic and challenge of young students learning! Contemporary research on ‘how learners learn’ makes this time of change in education a unique opportunity to open new doors for our students as together we create their futures.

A lifelong learner, my teaching career began in the 1970s after graduating in both Arts and Education from the University of Tasmania in Hobart. My early teaching years were in Tasmanian State Schools, followed by two years lecturing in Education at UTas, before becoming Head of Junior School at Scotch Oakburn in 1983. It is very special to be part of such a vibrant and innovative learning community. Along the way my studies have included a GCE in Mathematics Enrichment (University of Canberra) and an M.Ed. (University of Tasmania) as well as summer institutes at Harvard GSE and online work through Stanford. I have also held various leadership roles with the Independent Primary School Heads of Australia and Australian Primary Principals’ Association, working to keep both Tasmanian interests and primary education generally at the forefront of national education and political agendas.

Family is a big part of my life. My wife, Anne, has been a career teacher and our sons Samuel and Thomas attended Scotch Oakburn. We now have four grandchildren. Sport has been a lifelong interest, from playing days (mainly cricket, football and tennis), through tennis umpiring (including at the Australian Open) and as an avid follower of Test cricket and AFL.