Head of Teaching & Learning – Years 6-12

Virginia Berechree BEd, MSc, TTC, MEd

Virginia-BerechreeI live for the ‘ah ha’ moments, when a student suddenly understands an idea or a concept with which they have been struggling. I hope to inspire every individual to believe that it’s okay to get it “wrong” because that helps to get it “right”.

My dreams of a career in education were realised when I worked part-time teaching at Alanvale College whilst completing my Education degree at the University of Tasmania, then worked there full-time for three years until I was seconded to Curriculum Services as Health Education Coordinator K-12 (Northern Districts).

After some extended overseas travel (my backpacking months) I returned to teaching, first at Winnaleah District High School and then at Scotch Oakburn College.  A committed and passionate proponent of life-long learning, I completed a Master of Science (Health Education) Degree through Curtin University, Western Australia.  Time spent as Acting Head of Mathematics and then Head of House reminded me just how much more there always is to learn.  Completing a Master of Education (Educational Leadership) at the University of Tasmania (Launceston) in 2012 is certainly not the end of my learning – teaching and raising a teenager has me learning all the time!