Emily’s swimming success

Year 6 student Emily Mitchell broke two Tasmanian swimming records at the state sprint and relay championships in Launceston in February.

Emily, 11, set both a new state record and an allcomers record in the 50m backstroke.

Her time of 34.25 seconds shaved 1.02 seconds from the previous state mark and it also beat the previous allcomers record set by a Victorian, Emily Bresnehan of 35.15. The state record had stood for six years.

It was a successful competition for Emily, who also came away with four gold medals from the weekend. She was swimming in the most hotly-contested age group at the championships.

The modest champion, who trains five times a week with the Launceston Aquatic Club, won individual gold in the 50m backstroke and 50m butterfly. Emily teamed up with Jasmine Irani (also Year 6 at Scotch Oakburn College), Jess Homan and Ashlea Harrison to win the medley relay; and with Jasmine, Jess and Rebecca Clarke to win the freestyle relay.

“I was very surprised and very excited when I found out I had broken the records,” a delighted Emily said. “I love swimming because it is fun and I get to make new friends from around Tasmania.”

Emily, who also enjoys dance, is eagerly looking forward to the forthcoming Scotch Oakburn swimming carnival.