The Scotch Oakburn Boarding House is set on picturesque grounds, surrounded by beautiful gardens and century-old oak trees on the Elphin Campus of the College. It offers a well equipped and modern Boarding House for boys and girls just a short walk from the Launceston city centre.
Around 80 students from Year 6 to Year 12 can be accommodated in the spacious, recently-renovated and comfortable Boarding House with students coming from Tasmania´s country regions, interstate and overseas. A warm, friendly and caring atmosphere is fostered with staff who have a genuine interest and understanding in the care and development of young people and who help in the transition from home to Boarding House life.
Listen to former student and Captain of Boarding Carlton Heres (’16) talk about boarding at Scotch Oakburn College:
The Head of Boarding provides assistance to boarders and works with residential tutors to provide each individual with a balance between schoolwork, recreation and time for personal development. All ground floor areas, including recreational, dining and computing facilities, are shared, while the sleeping quarters are housed in two separate wings.
Features of Boarding at Scotch Oakburn include:
- well-equipped lounge rooms and activity rooms
- computer room
- heated swimming pool
- playing fields and tennis courts
- music facilities
- 20 minute walk or short bus ride on the College bus to the Penquite Campus
- extensive menu offering a good variety of foods, catering for a wide range of dietary needs and tastes
- birthdays and special occasions always a feature
- trained health staff
- 10 minute walk to the centre of Launceston and City Park
- established links with local surgeries and specialist services
- close supervision of ´Prep´ by tutors each week day evening
- study assistance offered at other times
- weekend activities arranged to cater for a range of interests
Scotch Oakburn values the nurturing environment of the family. Parents and relatives are encouraged to share in the various experiences of Boarding House life, despite the distance that may separate them. Tutors, along with the Head of Boarding and his family, live within the Elphin Campus and all take an active role in Boarding House activities and the day-to-day lives of each of the boarders.
Boarding House life for students fosters independence, respect, compassion, empathy and leadership, blended with staff support, guidance and friendship.
Boarding at Scotch Oakburn is a rewarding experience.
My love of education derives from the simple joy of providing the environment for young people to discovery their passions and their strengths, both interpersonal and intrapersonal, both academic and character based. Above all I love the opportunity to build relationships that allow me to support and challenge the young men and women of Scotch Oakburn College. Working
T: +61 3 6336 3394