Welcome to Term 2

Welcome to Term 2 and a special welcome to those students and families who commenced with Scotch Oakburn this term. I trust you have settled into the College, and for some Launceston, smoothly. Transition to a new environment can be challenging but I am confident that our staff and students will assist in making everyone feel at home right away.

During the break, over 80 students and numerous staff took a day out of their holidays to represent the College in the ANZAC Day March to recognise the sacrifice of Australians and Allied Service Men and Women in the defence of our nation and democracy. Similarly, our students played a key role in honouring former student and the last Tasmanian ANZAC, Alec Campbell, at the recent AFL match contested for the trophy bearing his name. I am extremely proud of our students’ willingness to give up their time and involve themselves in the greater Launceston community on such an important occasion. No doubt there were students and families in towns around the state who did likewise.

Term 2 has a number of key events on the College calendar. There are inter-house and inter-school athletics and cross-country events, Education Outdoors camps, work experience, Mothers’ Day, concerts and performances, the Year 10 Dinner and TCE Ball, and mid-year exams and tests for senior students, to name but a few. I am looking forward to an exciting term and as I often say to students, “You don’t have to excel at everything you do or be involved in everything, but whatever you are involved in, give it 100%”.

Andy Müller
Principal