What a fantastic term

How quickly the term has come to an end and as I reflect on all that has happened, and as befits a school that promotes a holistic education, it has been a term filled with many, many events and opportunities for our students. To emphasise the breadth of opportunities available to our students, at Briefing this week I reflected on the second half of this term and highlighted a number of the activities that the commitment of the College’s staff has provided for our students. Although not exhaustive, the following is a summary of many of those activities:

• Book week at Elphin;
• The Backpack Challenge;
• Fathers’ Day Breakfast;
• Robotics;
• Year 5 Service Program;
• s.p.a.c.e. Gallery exhibitions;
• Year 8 Cows Create Careers;
• IGNITE@Elphin and the Year 4 production;
• Author visits;
• Education Outdoors camps;
• Sustainability Pop-ups;
• The Spring Concert and Singfest;
• Student-Led Conferences and Parent/Student/Teacher interviews, and Information evenings;
• sporting competitions and finals in Athletics, Netball, Soccer, Hockey and Equestrian;
• Inter-house Singing, Debating, Spelling Bee and Cultural Carnival; and
• Foundation Oratory Public Speaking.

If we look ahead to the coming holiday period we have a group of TCE students partaking in an Outdoor Education camp, five senior students heading to India for the International Round Square Conference, 12 senior students travelling to China to further their language skills and visit our sister-school, the Jingshan School, in Beijing, and finally, we are hosting alumni reunions in Melbourne and Sydney on 8 & 9 October, respectively.

Additionally, I thanked staff for their care of our students; this is central to who we are. All teachers are pastoral carers and the saying, ‘students don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care’, holds as true today as it ever has.

The staff’s preparedness to go ‘one step beyond’ is the culture that helps set Scotch Oakburn apart. So I wish to take this opportunity to say very publically, “thank you” to all staff for their care for our students and the vast array of opportunities that enable our students to grow and flourish; I greatly appreciate it. To the students, I congratulate your endeavours in engaging with the life of the College and contributing so positively to the dynamic of our school.

I wish all of our community a safe and relaxing break and I look forward to seeing you refreshed and ready for Term 4 on Monday 14 October.

Andy Müller
Principal