My experience at Bunbury

I was a little nervous going into the boarding house because I didn’t know what to do expect. My initial fears proved to be nothing more than that, FEARS. If I could go back to that day, I would grab the opportunity with both hands.

I met the most amazing people, each of whom made me feel so welcome. Not only did I make long-lasting friendships, but I also learnt some valuable life skills. These included budgeting my money, being responsible for my laundry and helping with boarding house duties.

I had the chance to be more social, there was always something to do, people to meet and places to go. Most nights we had to go to Prep – homework, over at the Year 7 centre. Once we arrived, we put our phones on the table and sat down to do homework for 1 hour and 45 minutes. There was a 10-minute break from 8.00pm till 8.10pm, and you could use your phone then if you wanted. For second prep you could listen to music. You get the opportunity to be more independent because you don’t have parents there telling you what you should or shouldn’t do. You get to make your own choices and appreciate the lessons that come with these choices – good and bad.

My first day at the school I felt a little unsettled about the whole exchange thing. I just kept thinking to myself, get through this week and it will be ok. It was incredibly confronting walking into class on the first day, felt like every set of eyes were focused on the ‘new girl’. However, those fears again disappeared in a blink of an eye. I was welcomed with open arms into the class, and from there I never looked back.

One of the best life lessons this exchange taught me, was to stay true to myself. In doing so I was able to forge friendship bonds that will last well into the future. I also learnt that there is no need to be friends with every single person I meet, life just doesn’t work like that. I am so grateful for this opportunity and look forward to visiting Bunbury again soon.

Danielle Cario
Year 8

An Exchange Perspective

Having spent two weeks hosting exchange students from Scotch Oakburn College, the time had come for us to board the plane and head down to Launceston, Tasmania.

The expression ‘you are on an emotional rollercoaster ride’ captured our feelings perfectly. We eagerly anticipated meeting up with our hosts, reinforcing the friendship bonds created earlier in the year. However, fear of rejection, being unable to fit in and being away from home accompanied us on this exchange.

Arriving 3 August we were warmly welcomed into the Scotch Oakburn College community. Our earlier fears subsided as we immersed ourselves into the life of the school. This opportunity encouraged us to step out of our comfort zones, thus enabling us to forge new friendships that will last well into the future.

We leave Scotch Oakburn College with the knowledge that our learning encompassed so much more than what can be found in the classroom.

Going on exchange is an experience not to be out missed on.

Bella Krienke, Emily Huanhuan and Alexandra Kokkinos
Ivanhoe Grammar