World Vision’s Backpack Challenge is an annual event dedicated to raising awareness for children displaced by war and civil unrest.

Scotch Oakburn College has been an active participant in this worthy cause. This year proving no different with 44 Middle School students participating. Students were able to raise a combined amount of $2030 (surpassing their $2000 target).

Students are what make this event possible, and it is important for them to have a voice.

“When I first heard of this amazing opportunity my mind was spinning, I wanted to be a part of this experience. Not only did I want to take part in raising awareness for this cause, but I wanted to be able to further appreciate how lucky we are. In being a part of the backpack challenge, I could gain a further understanding of one of the challenges that impact the daily lives of Africans.” – Maya Martin, Year 7.

“I chose to participate in this year’s 10-hour Backpack Challenge because I felt the obligation too. I contributed last year but didn’t really understand what the challenge was all about. So this year I felt the need to take things further. I was given the responsibility of organising this year’s challenge. I knew I could do it but knowing how to do it was another question. The first step I took in trying to create awareness, was signing up on the website. I later realised that I could do so much more.

“I noticed after doing a little research, that there were so many struggling families and people out there. After clearing up what the challenge was all about in my mind, I finally understood what agony refugees face daily. I feel as though we should, at the very least educate more people. So, in the future, they can truly comprehend what can be done to change this unfair cycle.”  – Amity Hodgetts, Year 8 Service Leader.

“I chose to participate in this event for many reasons. I thought it would be just a load of fun for a good cause and 10 hours was going to be easy, but I thought wrong. The main reason for me doing the fundraiser was so I could raise money for those who need it more than me. Another point is that most people, including me, don’t feel grateful for what we have until you hear something about what others are going through. Refugees and people that aren’t as lucky as us would feel more grateful for little things in life, than all of us do. Overall the experience has been great, and I will come out of this completely different person.” – Rory Dick, Year 7

“I wanted to do the 10-hour backpack challenge to help people. I’m not saying that because that’s what I’m expected to say, I’m saying it because I mean it. I want to help. I’m not rich, I don’t have the money to go to all the developing countries and fix all their problems, I’m just a kid who wants to help. This opportunity gave me a chance to do that. I want to make a difference to the world, help as many people as I can. We only have a limited time on this earth, I just want to make a difference. I want to have the closure that I could make a difference. I could help someone who is not as privileged as me. I don’t want to get fifty years down the track and think ‘why didn’t I help while I had the chance’. I want to be able to think that somewhere in the world I helped. I know that donating 11 dollars is not going to change the world but maybe it will change someone’s world.” – Grace Kearney, Year 6

Thank you to all students involved for your support and dedication to this cause.

Clyde Goosen
Middle School Round Square Coordinator