About Susan McLean
Susan McLean is Australia’s foremost expert in the area of Cyber safety and young people. She was the first Victorian Police Officer appointed to a position involving Cybersafety and young people. She took her first report of cyberbullying in 1994 and since then she has conducted extensive research and has completed advanced training in this area in both the USA and UK and is a sought after presenter and advisor to Schools, elite sporting bodies such as the AFL, GP’s, and both State and Federal Governments. She has authored resources for the Victorian DET, writes and reviews school Policy, provides crisis management/advice to schools and law firms and is afforded ‘expert’ status on the Safer Internet Programme Data Base. She is the most highly qualified of all Federal Government eSafety Presenters. Susan is a member of the National Centre Against Bullying (NCAB) and is also a member of the Australian Government’s Cybersafety working group and a published author. Her book ‘Sext’s Texts & Selfies’, is the definitive guide for parents, teachers and carers to help children stay safe online.
An educational & entertaining session for parents and carers, Susan’s unparalleled knowledge leaves audiences shocked at the reality of the online world. It is a wake-up call to even the most switched on parent and is delivered with Susan’s famous ‘no nonsense’ approach. The session will cover the positive benefits of technology as well as what parents need to be aware of:
- Cyberspace 101. The reality of the online world. It’s not a matter of if – rather than when.
- What are kids doing online? Learn the latest apps and platforms your kids are either on, want to be on or are being told about at school. TikTok, Omegle, House Party & more.
- Online Grooming. What is it and when/how does it occur? What are the warning signs & what to do if you suspect this is happening to your child?
- Cyberbullying. What it is, where it happens, what it looks like, how to prevent and what to do if it occurs. Also the legal consequences and the possible criminal charges.
- Sharing Nudes. The taking and sending of explicit images.The social and emotional consequences as well as the law.
- Problematic Gaming. How to manage digital devices in your home to avoid problems and what to do if/when they arise.
- Exposure to damaging content. Including online pornography & site that encourage suicide, self-harm & eating disorders.
- Top Tips– how to assist the children in your care to stay safe online with rules, parental controls and restriction passcodes.
- The session will conclude with time for questions.
Recommended Audience: Parents and guardians of students in Year 6-12
This is a free event however RSVP to this event is essential. COVID check-in will be required.