Year 10, 11 and 12 at Scotch Oakburn College provides the very best chance to maximise choices for our students’ futures. Learning in the senior years offers a vibrant and diverse learning community. Our rich history and tradition provide unique experiences and leadership roles within the College.
Maximise future choices through mentoring, partnerships & staff expertise. Reach your full potential by utilising a diverse range of resources & options. Develop multiple pathways for your future. Finish secondary school prepared for the next phase of your life. Enjoy the dedicated TCE space, the Robert Dean Senior Student Centre.
The Senior Years at Scotch Oakburn College, Years 10-12, is a time of exploration, growth, development, fun, self- discovery, and preparation that provides every student the best chance to maximise their choices for the future.
Andy Müller Principal
FOUNDATIONS FOR SUCCESS AND A SMOOTH TRANSITION
● Be a part of an extensive curriculum including Education Outdoors, STEAM Challenge, work experience and elective options to match your passions. ● Take advantage of exam practice to prepare for TCE exam environments. ● Participate in an extensive co-curricular program including a wide range of sport and Performing Arts options, exchange opportunities and cultural trips. ● Experience a seamless transition to TCE. Settle into Scotch Oakburn life and get to know staff and students in readiness for TCE.
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A HEADSTART TO YOUR TCE
● The only school in Tasmania to offer a TCE Headstart program. ● TCE Headstart operates in the final two weeks of Term 4, for all Year 10 and 11 students. ● Subjects begin, allowing you the chance to ensure your subjects suit your interests and ability. ● This is an opportunity to change subjects if required, ready to jump into the new year with confidence.
BUILDING THE FRAMEWORK TO FOLLOW YOUR PASSIONS
You will: ● Be part of a vibrant and diverse learning community. ● Experience a wide breadth of offerings catering for all abilities. ● Be supported and recognised as individuals. ● Create bespoke opportunities geared towards your skills and passions. ● Enjoy supported learning including tutoring options.
VALUED AND NURTURED AS INDIVIDUALS
● Students belong to a supportive whole school community. ● Experience a comprehensive staff structure of teachers, leaders, tutors, mentors & specialised mental-health care experts. ● Choose activities, opportunities & strategies that develop resilience, empathy, tolerance and connectedness in our community. ● Every student is supported as an individual; socially, emotionally, spiritually & physically.
MEANINGFUL, SELF-INITIATED LEARNING & LEADERSHIP
● Students navigate their pathways, with assistance from careers staff. ● Learning is driven by interests and future pathways. ● Opportunities to lead & mentor younger year levels (from 3-years-olds up). ● Leading by example and through community-based programs is encouraged. ●Students are encouraged to develop self-directed initiatives and projects within the College or in the local or global community. ● An extensive co-curricular program including a wide range of sport and performing Arts options, exchange options and cultural and sporting trips.
ONE ON ONE PATHWAY PLANNING FOR THE FUTURE
● Dedicated careers staff for individualised pathway planning and help at any time. ● One on one subject selection assistance each year. ● Ongoing work experience opportunities (Years 10-12). ● Guest speakers from industry and Australian universities. ● Resources for gap years, university & other study options, apprenticeships & much more.
INDIVIDUALISED SUBJECT SELECTION SESSIONS EVERY YEAR
● Follow your passions with a tailored program. ● Year 10 programs offer a wide range of electives plus Work Experience, STEAM Challenge, Education Outdoors and more. ● TCE subject options are tailored and flexible, including Level 1-4 TASC subjects and Vocational Education and Training (VET) options. ● Year 12 students may also choose to study a subject through the University of Tasmania’s High Achiever’s Program (HAP) or the University Connections Program (UCP), all of which can contribute towards their TCE.
(View full subject selection guides at the bottom of the page)
A GREAT ENVIRONMENT FOR THE BEST RESULTS
● Year 10-12 are fortunate to have amazing learning and break out spaces. ● Year 10 have their home in Helix, the Centre for Science and Mathematics. ● Year 11 and 12 enjoy exclusive use of the Robert Dean Senior Student Centre, not only for study but during break times, including their own kitchen, balcony overlooking Scotch Oakburn Park, table tennis and eight ball table. ● Learning spaces are modern, light-filled and equipped with the latest technology.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT
SPECIALIST TEACHING & SUPPORT STAFF
Our teaching & support staff are experts in their fields.
Their breadth of knowledge and life experiences add a rich and deep level of unparalleled learning that extends well beyond the classroom.
This knowledge and experience is passed on to our students as they are mentored and challenged to think deeply about possibilities and to strive to individually achieve their best.
Hear what our students and teachers have to say about learning and maximising opportunities at Scotch Oakburn College.
“SATISFACTION – BELONGING – MATESHIP”
“Put yourself out there by doing co-curricular. Always put your hand up, take every opportunity. TCE Headstart is also a good thing. You get to see what your subjects are really like. In the first term, you are set rather than figuring out a subject isn’t for you.
ANGUS FOSTER | Year 11
“ADVENTUROUS – ADVANTAGEOUS – TRANSFORMATIVE”
“As a TCE student, I find my teachers’ doors are always open even if they are so busy. They are there to help us maximise our marks and learning. They encourage us in our own pursuits’ outside school and are interested in our development as people.
MADDISON JOHNSON-REES | Year 12
“INSIGHTFUL – CHALLENGING – MEMORABLE”
“I’m definitely a lot more ready now to take on the world, I suppose, than I was entering into Year 11. You change from a student into a more independent person. I have really broadened my horizons s a TCE student.
ALEXANDRA PHILLIPS | Year 12
“INSPIRING – REWARDING – CHALLENGING”
“I had a 20-year plan last year and it was difficult for me to change. Facilitated by the school, I got to sit in with a whole heap of doctors and that really helped cement my decision. They always encourage you to keep your career paths open and thankfully that is something I did.
ETHAN HAMILTON | Year 12
“CAPTIVATING – EXCITING – INSPIRING”
“The Futures Centre is such a valuable resource and they have really helped me throughout my years at the Senior School. For someone who doesn’t know what they want to do, they have been so helpful in helping me to keep as many doors open as possible so I pursue any opportunity.
JORDAN MAY-SHEPHARD | Year 11
“CHALLENGING – REWARDING – MEMORABLE”
“With TCE Headstart, you have two weeks before your summer holidays where you try out next years courses; that’s for Year 10s and 11s going into TCE. It is very useful as you can head into the New Year with a fresh mind and you know exactly what you need to do.
SIDDHANT KOHLI | Year 12
“WELCOMING – SUPPORTIVE – INCLUSIVE”
“In TCE Headstart I was able to try out a lot of different TCE subjects which is why Headstart is so great because you get to figure out what you do and don’t like. Learning is tailored to individuals. The teachers are able to tailor learning to how each individual learns.
MILLIE DUIGAN | Year 11
“ENGAGING – CONSTRUCTIVE – FORWARD-THINKING”
“Teachers are the mainstay of the Scotch Oakburn experience, they are always keen to help you. You gain so much knowledge from them that really helps you with your learning. I’m forever grateful for what they’ve done for me. They adapt and tailor lessons to suit your needs.
DEAN POWER | Year 11
TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR NOW
Visit our Senior School virtual tour and ‘fly’ through our campus.
No need to wait to visit – tour now, click “START TOUR”.
0 median ATAR
50% of students in 2021 ranked in the top 11.2% nationally
0+ ATAR ranking
24% of students in 2021 ranked in the top 5% nationally
0+ ATAR ranking
44% of students in 2021 ranked in the top 10% nationally
EXCELLENCE IN RESULTS
0+ ATAR ranking
76% of students in 2021 ranked in the top 20% nationally
DUX of 2021
EXCELLENCE IN RESULTS
88.80 MEDIAN atar – 50% of students in 2021 ranked in the top 11.2% nationally
95+ ATAR ranking – 24% of students in 2021 ranked in the top 5% nationally
90+ ATAR ranking – 44% of students in 2021 ranked in the top 10% nationally
80+ ATAR ranking – 76% of students in 2021 ranked in the top 20% nationally
DUX of 2021- 99.95 ATAR
Download additional information for Year 10, 11 or 12.